As women approaching the age of 70, we have written about the anti-inflammatory diet, exercise, supplements, fashion and make-up. We may have overlooked one important element. Drinking! (Just kidding.) Let’s call it the mental/spiritual aspect of our lives and what we can do to enhance that area:
- Buy fresh flowers for your home. I love this one!
- Visit a park or some other place where you can experience nature. Maybe you have the luxury of being able to walk everyday in a beautiful place.
- Take a break from the news. Being uninformed can be a blessing!
- Read an inspirational book.
- Make a list of friends and acquaintances who make you feel happier, more alive, more optimistic. Spend time with those individuals. Does this mean avoiding those who evoke the opposite feelings?
- Try your hand at growing herbs, fruit or vegetables. My rosemary is still alive! I also have an orange and a lemon tree in pots. No fruit. Maybe next year.
- Take a moment to express gratitude for your food before meals.
- Think of a piece of music that you find uplifting and listen to it: C&W, classic rock, opera, jazz? I have a new Texas Tenors CD.
- View a work of art, sculpture or architecture that you find beautiful.
- Reconnect with someone with whom you’ve lost touch or from whom you are estranged.
- Forgive someone who has hurt you or made you angry. Do this for yourself. The person you are forgiving my have completely forgotten the offense.
- Do something for someone else without expecting something in return.
- If you don’t have a pet, consider getting one—from your local animal shelter.
- And finally, have an occasional glass of wine.
Exercise and diet are important, but these habits really make for a well lived life.